The following are licenses and permits residents or business owners are required to obtain from the Village of Monticello:

License / Permit Type 

 Managing Department / Office

Alcohol Licenses

Village Clerk

Animal Licenses

Village Clerk

Building Licenses and Permits

Building Inspector

Business Licenses and Permits

Village Clerk

State and Federal Business Licenses and Permits

State and Federal Government

Street Use Permits

Village Clerk



Alcohol Licenses

The purpose of alcohol licensing in the State of Wisconsin is to better ensure the public health and welfare of Wisconsin residents. The State of Wisconsin requires all persons who vend, sell, deal or traffic intoxicating liquors or fermented malt beverages to be licensed with their local government. As a result, anyone who vends, sells, deals or traffics any alcoholic beverages within Village limits, in any amount, is required to first obtain a license from the Village of Monticello (See Wisconsin Statues §125 and Section 7-2 of the Village Code of Ordinances)

Application to Serve Fermented Malt Beverages and Intoxicating Liquors

Original Alcohol Beverage License Application AT-106f

Renewal Alcohol Beverage License Application AT-115f

Temporary Alcohol License Application AT-315f

Auxiliary Questionnaire/Alcohol Beverage License Application

Schedule for Appointment of Agent by Corporation/Nonprofit Organization or Limited Liability Company

Licensing for Alcohol Beverages Informational Pamphlet

Wisconsin Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Laws for Retailers

*Important Dates to Remember: June 30 New licenses must be picked up from the Village Clerk’s Office by July 1 New licensing year officially begins. All licenses for the previous license year are now expired.

Animal Licenses

Any dog, male or female, living in the State of Wisconsin that is five (5) months of age or older as of January 1st, or 5 months of age within the license year, shall annually, or on or before the date the dog becomes 5 months of age, pay the dog license tax and obtain a license. A license year commences on January 1st and ends December 31st. You may apply for a Dog License in the Clerk’s Department at the Village Hall.  You may also mail the application and rabies information to Village of Monticello at P.O. Box 147, 238 N Main St., Monticello, WI 53570.

To obtain a license for your dog: 1) Use a separate check (from any other fees/utilities) for dog payment, payable to the Village of Monticello. 2) Send proof of rabies vaccination with license request. 3) Enclose a self addressed/stamped envelope with your payment. Vaccination papers and tag will be mailed to you.

The license tag must be secured to a collar and the collar kept on the dog at all times. Monticello Dog Application FEES:


 Ordinance Section


Spayed Female or

Neutered Males


$6.00 annually

Unspayed Female or

Unneutered Males


$11.00 annually

Kennel Fee

7-1-3 (b)

$75.00 (12 or few +$3.00 for each additional dog)

Building Licenses & Permits

The Village contracts building and zoning permits with Scott Jelle Total Inspection. If you wish to talk with Scott Jelle, please call 608-963-0652 or email him at totalinspectionservices@gmail.com. Mike does not hold regular office hours but usually drops in the office on Thursdays of each week. Building Permit Services Census – Building Permits   (Look up number of new homes and value for Monticello) Projects Requiring Permits Residents must obtain permits from the Building Inspector for construction and remodeling projects. Permit applications can be picked up at the Village Office. Permits must be obtained before construction begins. Projects include the following:

  • New homes
  • Remodeling
  • Additions (including decks, fences, and sheds)
  • Electric, plumbing & heating changes
  • Commercial signs
  • Any project that requires excavating, improving, altering, converting, repairing, extending or demolishing of a lot, building or structure must first obtain a building permit. Separate permits must be obtained for land disturbing, erosion control, plumbing, heating, electrical, and building. Permits are also required for signs, both temporary and permanent.

Building Inspection Fee Schedule & Procedure Please contact the building inspector for fee schedule and procedure. Please note that for permits, payment should be made at the time of pick-up. Zoning Listed below are a variety of useful resources that may aid you in your zoning or development questions.  To find out what is permitted within a specific zone, or what the current regulations are for specific items (i.e. yard setbacks), please reference the internet link titled “Ordinances” below.  To find out what zone your property is in, reference the zoning map below.  If you have any questions regarding zoning or developments, feel free to contact the Building Inspector.

Zoning Ordinance – See Chapter 13 Variance Application Conditional Use Permit Application Zoning Change Request Application Access Map- Green County

Forms Needed for Building Permits Building Permit Sample

State & Federal Business Licenses & Permits

Food Safety and Recreational Licensing
The Food Safety and Recreational Licensing Section of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services is responsible for the statewide licensing and regulation of: food operations, lodging establishments, campgrounds, swimming pools and body art businesses.

Seller’s Permit
The Seller’s Permit is required for in, partnerships, corporations, or other organizations making retail sales or rentals of tangible personal property or retail sales of taxable services in Wisconsin from a Wisconsin location, unless the seller is exempt from taxation.

Federal Employee Identification Number
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. For persons interested in starting a new business, more information is available on the Department of Revenue’s “Build Your Business” website.

Street Use Permits



 Ordinance Section


Street Use Permit

The streets in possession of the village are primarily for the use of the public in the ordinary way. However, under proper circumstances, the Village Board may grant a permit for street use, subject to reasonable municipal regulation and control.




A list of forms, documents and resource links for the Village of Monticello. Find tax forms, park and recreation forms, business license, permits and other miscellaneous forms. Click on the document name to view, print or download PDF file.

Park & Recreation
Business License & Permits
Building Construction & Permits


All public records, which are not confidential or privileged, are available for public inspection and copying during normal business hours. Request for inspection should be made to the elected official or the department head listed above, or his designee, and may be either oral or in writing. If there is any public record or information which you cannot determine the location of, or if you need assistance in locating the person or department in charge of that record(s), the Village Clerk will assist you with your inquiry.

A copying charge of $0.25 per page is applicable for each page that is copied or reproduced on Village copiers. No copies shall be mailed to any applicant unless prior arrangements are made with the Village Clerk for payment of postage. In some cases, such response costs may go beyond simply copying a requested record.

Any oral request for information may be denied orally and any written request will be denied in writing with a full statement of the reason(s) for such denial. Any person may request advice of the State of Wisconsin Attorney General as to the right to inspect public records and property under any circumstances.

Information may be obtained from the Records Custodian at the Office of The Village Clerk between the hours of 7:30a.m.–4:00p.m. Monday – Friday, excluding holidays.

Village Clerk Office
Village Hall
238 N Main St.,
Monticello, WI 53570

Records Custodian: CLERK/TREASURER
Note:For limitation upon access and withholding of information, see §19.36 Wis. States.

The following Department Heads are designated records custodian for their respective Department, generally described as follows:

Natalie Lloyd, Clerk/Treasurer
Kevin Komprood, Public Works Director
Szvon Conway, Police Chief
Scott Jelle, Zoning/Building Inspector
Kevin Komprood, Fire Chief
Katrina Linde-Moriarty, Librarian
Gardiner Appraisal Service, Assessor
William Morgan, Village Attorney