Licenses & Permits

Where to File

The following are licenses and permits residents or business owners are required to obtain from the Village of Monticello:

License / Permit Type 

 Managing Department / Office

Alcohol Licenses

Village Clerk

Animal Licenses

Village Clerk

Building Licenses and Permits

Building Inspector

Business Licenses and Permits

Village Clerk

State and Federal Business Licenses and Permits

State and Federal Government

Street Use Permits

Village Clerk


Alcohol Licenses

The purpose of alcohol licensing in the State of Wisconsin is to better ensure the public health and welfare of Wisconsin residents.

The State of Wisconsin requires all persons who vend, sell, deal or traffic intoxicating liquors or fermented malt beverages to be licensed with their local government.

As a result, anyone who vends, sells, deals or traffics any alcoholic beverages within Village limits, in any amount, is required to first obtain a license from the Village of Monticello (See Wisconsin Statues §125 and Section 7-2 of the Village Code of Ordinances)

Application to Serve Fermented Malt Beverages and Intoxicating Liquors

Original Alcohol Beverage License Application AT-106f

Renewal Alcohol Beverage License Application AT-115f

Temporary Alcohol License Application AT-315f

Auxiliary Questionnaire/Alcohol Beverage License Application

Schedule for Appointment of Agent by Corporation/Nonprofit Organization or Limited Liability Company

Licensing for Alcohol Beverages Informational Pamphlet

Wisconsin Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Laws for Retailers

Important Dates to Remember:

June 30 New licenses must be picked up from the Village Clerk’s Office by 4:00 PM

July 1 New licensing year officially begins. All licenses for the previous license year are now expired.

Animal Licenses

Any dog, male or female, living in the State of Wisconsin that is five (5) months of age or older as of January 1st, or 5 months of age within the license year, shall annually, or on or before the date the dog becomes 5 months of age, pay the dog license tax and obtain a license. A license year commences on January 1st and ends December 31st. You may apply for a Dog License in the Clerk’s Department at the Village Hall.  You may also mail the application and rabies information to Village of Monticello at P.O. Box 147, 140 N Main St., Monticello, WI 53570.

To obtain a license for your dog:
1) Use a separate check (from any other fees/utilities) for dog payment, payable to the Village of Monticello.
2) Send proof of rabies vaccination with license request.
3) Enclose a self addressed/stamped envelope with your payment. Vaccination papers and tag will be mailed to you.

The license tag must be secured to a collar and the collar kept on the dog at all times.

Monticello Dog Application



 Ordinance Section


Spayed Female or

Neutered Males


$6.00 annually

Unspayed Female or

Unneutered Males


$11.00 annually

Kennel Fee

7-1-3 (b)

$75.00 (12 or few +$3.00 for each additional dog)

Building Licenses & Permits

The Village contracts building and zoning permits with Fenley Total Inspections. If you wish to talk with Mike Fenley, please call (608) 963-0652 or email him at Mike does not hold regular office hours but usually drops in the office on Thursdays of each week.

Building Permit Services

Census – Building Permits   (Look up number of new homes and value for Monticello)

Projects Requiring Permits
Residents must obtain permits from the Building Inspector for construction and remodeling projects. Permit applications can be picked up at the Village Office. Permits must be obtained before construction begins.

Projects include the following:

  • New homes
  • Remodeling
  • Additions (including decks, fences, and sheds)
  • Electric, plumbing & heating changes
  • Commercial signs
  • Any project that requires excavating, improving, altering, converting, repairing, extending or demolishing of a lot, building or structure must first obtain a building permit. Separate permits must be obtained for land disturbing, erosion control, plumbing, heating, electrical, and building. Permits are also required for signs, both temporary and permanent.

Building Inspection Fee Schedule & Procedure
Please contact the building inspector for fee schedule and procedure. Please note that for permits, payment should be made at the time of pick-up.

Listed below are a variety of useful resources that may aid you in your zoning or development questions.  To find out what is permitted within a specific zone, or what the current regulations are for specific items (i.e. yard setbacks), please reference the internet link titled “Ordinances” below.  To find out what zone your property is in, reference the zoning map below.  If you have any questions regarding zoning or developments, feel free to contact the Building Inspector.

Zoning Ordinance – See Chapter 13
Variance Application
Conditional Use Permit Application
Zoning Change Request Application
Access Map- Green County

Forms Needed for Building Permits
Building Permit Sample


Business Licenses & Permits

The Village of Monticello has no general business license.





 Ordinance Section(s)


Amusement Device

No person shall operate or keep an amusement arcade without having obtained and posted on the premises, in plain view, a license to operate such arcade.

Application Form



Pool & Billiard Halls, Bowling Alleys

No person shall keep or maintain for hire or profit within the Village limits any bowling alley or any place of whatever kind or name where bowling alleys are kept or maintained without first obtaining a license.

Application Form


 $6.00/year per table or alley

Cigarette License

No person shall, in any manner, directly or indirectly upon any premises, or by any device sell, exchange, barter, dispose of or give away or keep for sale any cigarette, cigarette paper or cigarette wrappers or any substitute therefor without first obtaining a license.

Application Form


 $20.00 annually

Special Events Permits

Village Board shall issue permits for the exclusive use of Village parks or property.

Application Form

12-1-6(b) (d)

$15.00 per permit; $75.00 (If not received 14 days prior to event)

$100.00 deposit

Transient and Temporary Entertainments License

No person shall maintain or operate any transient or temporary public entertainment within the Village without first obtaining a license.


 No Charge

Transient Merchant/Direct Seller’s License

Any person engaging in the retail sale of merchandise at any place in this Village temporarily, and who does not intend to become and does not become a permanent merchant of such place, must be registered and licensed with the Village of Waunakee.

Application Form


 $10.00 Daily per person

State & Federal Business Licenses & Permits

Food Safety and Recreational Licensing
The Food Safety and Recreational Licensing
 Section of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services is responsible for the statewide licensing and regulation of: food operations, lodging establishments, campgrounds, swimming pools and body art businesses.

Seller’s Permit
The Seller’s Permit is required for in, partnerships, corporations, or other organizations making retail sales or rentals of tangible personal property or retail sales of taxable services in Wisconsin from a Wisconsin location, unless the seller is exempt from taxation.

Federal Employee Identification Number
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity.

For persons interested in starting a new business, more information is available on the Department of Revenue’s “Build Your Business” website.

Street Use Permits



 Ordinance Section


Street Use Permit

The streets in possession of the village are primarily for the use of the public in the ordinary way. However, under proper circumstances, the Village Board may grant a permit for street use, subject to reasonable municipal regulation and control.